KWD: 19/514 = 3.69%
Oregano oil is found in the leaves and flowering tops of more than two dozen fragrant plant species. The herb oregano is widely known for its mild minty flavor. The most popular Origanum species in North America is Origanum vulgare also called European oregano or origanum which is a member of the mint family (Labiatae). The leaves of oregano plant are popularly used in pizza toppings and pasta salads. Aside from culinary use, the oregano oil has healing properties too. This aromatic distinct oregano oil was used even in ancient times. Texts found from ancient times showed that the oregano oil was used as their remedy for seizures and narcotic poisonings. The results were not known though.
Oregano oil has the following perceived benefits:
* Oregano oil has different levels of thymol and carvacrol compounds which stop the growth of fungi, worms and other organisms. It is even found to be a good remedy in treating athlete’s foot, a condition commonly caused by Tinea versicolor fungus.
* It has mild stomach-settling and cough-clearing qualities due to thymol and carvacrol. A drop or two of oregano oil in milk or juice can calm stomach upset and help digestion.
* It is used as an antiseptic in hand cleansers and shampoos.
* It is also a remedy for headaches if rubbed in temples.
* It alleviates toothaches by diluting oregano oil and rubbing it gently into the inflamed gums and ailing tooth.
* It combats Candida overgrowth syndrome. Oregano oil antifungal actions are needed to fight this syndrome which is caused by imbalance of fungi and bacteria levels in the body.
* Recent studies indicate that oregano oil can be an effective treatment against dangerous and drug-resistant bacteria such as staphylococcus bacteria which is responsible for a number of severe infections and is quite resistant to antibiotics.
In treating toothache, dilute oregano oil in small amount of water and dab three or four times or as needed onto the source of discomfort. For Candida overgrowth syndrome, place three drops of oregano oil into empty gelatin capsule or mix the same amount of oil into juice and take this mixture three times a day. It may take several weeks before the anti-fungal properties of oil of oregano can clear up the Candida infection.
If you want to use oregano oil, buy the high-quality products because concentration of the active ingredients in oregano oil can vary among oregano products. Oil from oregano has the capacity to lower absorption of iron from iron supplements. Therefore, it is advisable to take the oregano oil at least two hours before or after taking iron supplements. Oregano oil has mild side effects. But allergic reactions to oregano oil can occur. If allergic reaction symptoms develop such as facial swelling, skin rash, itching, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms occur then stop using oregano oil. If you have iron-deficiency anemia, the oil from oregano taken internally might make your condition worse by inhibiting iron absorption from foods and supplements. It is advisable to see your doctor before taking in oil of oregano.